Friday, September 09, 2005


I have just come back from lunch after seeing my placement tutor off at reception. Today was my first placement tutor visit where we chatted about what I have been up to while on placement, how the logistical side of life out here is going and all kinds of stuff like that. Also Roger (my placement tutor) has a chat with Nathalie about how I've been doing. I have to say that it is very scary sitting in another room while other people talk about you- I didn't like it. But all in all, the visit was fine. I have been instructed to enquire about some french lessons and Nathalie has been told that as of Monday I have to at least try to speak in French before I am aloud to speak any English. I did try to tell him that I speak french whenever I can. However Nathalie had told him just how much I actually managed (which admittedly is not that much) and so I have been commanded to talk more.


While Roger and Helen (his partner) were here I took advantage of their knowledge of cricket to learn a bit. With all the hype about the Ashes at the moment I have started to get into it a bit. I haven't actually watched any (not having access to a TV over here) but I have been following the match on BBC sport on-line. Since being away I have become incredibly patriotic and have really got into supporting england in stuff (we won't mention the football though :P). But I am a complete novice a cricket and understand very little. So I have been reading up a bit and asking various people questions. I now understand enough that I can understand the game on paper (as in when I see the match summary I understand what has happened). Doubt I would follow a match yet but I'm getting there. I felt a bit funny giving Roger and Helen an update on the scores and talking like I knew what I was on about- was rather funny really.


Yesterday evening I popped into the computer shop after getting a missed call from them on wednesday. Turns out they were trying to get hold of me to find out my password. Now when I fist came to Philips I was really worried about forgetting my password so I set my home computer to use the same one (just so I was using it that bit more). As a result it is VERY hard to guess. Philips has a strict password policy (as you would expect) Passwords must contain at least one capital letter, one lowercase letter, one number and a punctuation/ 'special' character. They also change them all every couple of months. So not only did I have to write down a password that I only ever type (and yes I did end up pretending to type on an invisible keyboard to try to remember it) but it was also an old password that I haven't used far a good couple of weeks. Oh well hopefully it means they can sort it all out. I did think as soon as I left that I possibly should have warned them that it is set up for an english keyboard as well. Oh well they are just going to have to work that one out for themselves.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home