Thursday, August 25, 2005


Today I'm pining for the loss of a dear friend. Yes my dear little computer has given up!!! It loads up to a point (the white screen that says "Windows 2000, built on NT technology) and then re-sets and starts booting up again.

I spent all evening yesterday trying everything my Dad and I could think up:

  • un-plug everything that is attached (usb etc)
  • clean out the fan (got a huge amount of dust from it but it didn't help)
  • try starting it in safe mode
  • remove all the ethernet and modem cards
  • un plug all the cd/dvd drives
  • remove one of the memory cards
  • unplug the hard drive (this one just made it complain lots)

In the end I had to retire to bed, dusty, tiered and still with no working computer :(

I have through this learn a HUGE amount about the workings of my computer and now understand several things that before I would have just 'smiled and nodded' at. But I still don't have a computer! Luckily there is a computer shop over the road from the Foyer. I'm hoping that if I take it in they can do things like test the power supply for me. I think I'm going to have to wait until Saturday to go in though coz it probably won't be open when I get back from work.


On a plus note I did work out what I can do about the whole cable problem. Because I can only have dial up, and so can only use the net OR my phone, I can just disconnect the telephone cable from my phone handset and plug it straight into my modem!! WOOHOOO (OK just got to have a working computer now).


Wow that was bizarre there was just a huge down pour outside that lasted for all of about 10 seconds. The weather has been going seriously crazy recently. It just can't make up its mind!! LOL- just like england :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home