Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Mardi 16eme août



Well I am now back at work after a wonderful 4 day break. I have just spent the weekend back home in good old London.

On Friday I backed up my bags and wheeled my little suitcase down to the train station here in Caen ready to catch my train to Paris St Lazare. From St Lazare I was then going to catch a bus to Paris Nord, the euro star to London Waterloo and then train to Norbury. Me being me I of course arrived about 45 mins early for my train at Caen but had no need, the journey was amazingly easy and I arrived in Paris safe and sound 2 hours later. I had managed to get directions to Paris Nord of the internet and a little map showing where the bus stop was. I discovered however that because I had got my map of St Lazre from the return journey plan I actually had the wrong bus stop. However I was determined not to get flustered and I got onto the next number 26 bus that appeared (that's the number I was told to get) and asked how to get to 'Place Franz Lizst' (that is the corresponding bus stop by Paris Nord). The bus driver was absolutaly lovely and explained that I needed the bus going in the opposite direstion. However the bus route ended in about 2 stops so he said I could stay on the bus so that when it turned around to go back (in the direction I needed) I would already be on the bus. I guess that was way easier for him to do that than try to explain to this little english girl how to find the other bus stop.

So anyway I arrived at the euro star terminal and worked my way through check in. It was really bizarre hearing some much english again. And in fact I started to get quite annoyed at everyone talking to me in english- I was in France so should speak french. Of course as soon as I sat down on the train I realised that I had been carrying my British passport, so it wasn't really very suprising that they had spoken to me in english.

Once on the euro star I had two seat to mayself as no one came to claim the seat next to me. So I sprawled out and fell asleep- I missed the entire tunnel! It made me laught though to realise that the way you can tell which side of the channel you are is to listen to the PA announcements. When in France they put the French version first and once in England the english version goes first!

Pulling into Waterloo I had the most stupid grin of my face as I saw names and places I knew- Batersea power station, The london Eye, the gurkin (dunno what it's real name is but it looks like a big glass gurkin), Big ben. It was weird to look round the carrage and not see everyone else getting excitined that we had arrived. Newho to cut a long journey short (or rather the story of the journey) I arrived home safe and sound at about 5:30.


Saturday was Esther and Daves wedding (there is a seperate entry below for that) but it was a fantastic day (if a little tiering).

Sunday was church and a family afternoon. The Monday was back off to the train sation again. It was quite nice really as Mum and Dad took me to the station and we managed to pick up Pippa on the way (Pippa is a friend from St Andrews and Tenisons). So got to chat to Pippa on the train to Clapham junction which was a nice suprise. Journey back was pretty dull (story wise that is). I bought a copy of Dan Browns Angels and Demons to read on the train. I think it is much better than the Da Vinci Code. That might just be because theologically I agree much more with what is said in this one. I have nearly finished it now!!!

Then work today. I can't quite believe I'm back. My trip to England already seems like such a long time ago.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home