Thursday, October 06, 2005

See the bright side

I had forgotten just how moany English people can be!
Yesterday after dinner the english speaking girls of the foyer all sat round chatting, or to be more presice sat and moaned about france and the foyer. When I arrived I took all the little changes in culture as just 'part of the big adverture' of living in a new counrty. If mistakes were made, well I smiled and made the best of it. Obviously there is room for improvement but there are very few things that I think warant a real moan (sorry to Jon who has managed to bag the receiving end of these rants!!). However one of the english girls had nothing but complaint. The staff had made a mistake and entered her into the system twice meaning that her card for dinner was playing up. She got sooo upset about this and was calling the employees all sorts of names.
The others had complaints about the quality of food, lack of square sandwich bread, lack of computerisation in france, bizarre habits of the l'oasis staff who never seem to do anything all day!!
It was a bit hard not to join in, especially as many of the points they made are true. But after a bit I was just bored. I wanted to stop them and just say "relax guys, seriously it doesn't matter". Since going to uni I have got used to people who always look for faults and who critisise everything. I may be used to it but I still don't understand it. It is so dull!!!
How can you possible hope to enjoy life when you spend so much time looking for the bad? I know there are things wrong and I have my fair share of things that annoy me, but I don't dwell on it. I find something else that makes me smile or just laugh at them.
It would apear that I am one of the only ones who found Brigette (one of the ladies who runs the place) absolutely lovely. Maybe that's because my french was so bad that the effort she takes in using simple french and slow french to non native speaker looks friendly rather than patronising, maybe it's because I smile most of the time (something she has commented on before) I dunno.
But being happy works for me.


Oh and btw I completely forgot to post anything about my trip to the bar so here is a very breif summary:
pub= irish, dingy, smoky and very expensive
people= english, american, a canadian, a german and a french man- all lovely
conversation= bits about what we were doing in france, how we were settling in, the film we saw on monday, films in general, sports and silly games.
verdict= a very enjoyable evening

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home