Monday, October 10, 2005

Earthquake

I was four when I was in an earthquake but I still remember how scary it is. Everything is shaking and there is nowhere that you can go to avoid it. So when I got in this morning and read the news about the earthquake in Pakistan I really felt for those effected.
Now one of those people is a good friend of mine- Robinson Gill. I worked with Robbie for two years at Manna, which was my Saturday job while I was in college. He is a native Pakistani who came over to England to study a bible college over here. Thankfully waiting for me this morning where a couple of e-mails from him telling us that he and his family were safe. However there are many people that he knows that as yet they haven't managed to contact. If you could remember him and his friends and family in your prayers I know they would appreciate it.

So on to more happy topics- my weekend.

Friday evening we had even more new people at youth group! It's v cool.
Saturday I was bushed so slept the morning through (as usual) and then headed off to the church. The youth were all invited round to Jackie's (I guy from church) for the afternoon/evening and we were all meeting at church before allocating cars and heading off. When I got there I found Josine and Jérôme busy giving the church a bit of a spring clean. They had all the chairs pushed to one end and were washing the floor down. So I grabbed a mop and joined in. Finally we had finished and all our drivers had turned up so we headed out. Now Jackie lives quite a way out into the countryside so it took up about half an hour to get there but got to drive trough some very pretty bits first.
When we got there we all set of for a walk. It started of great with a wander through fields. Then we came the lovely steep slope that we had to go down. I let out a loud “Oh no not again” (remembering the walk we took with Hugues before). Everyone of course thought this was very funny and admittedly so did I and praying that it was just one slope I declined Jérôme’s help I set off. I have never liked steep down hills. I guess I don’t trust my balance and foot enough to think that I can stay on my feet. Not entirely sure where I get this idea from because each time I’m faced with such a situation I manage it fine. Oh well. By the time the slower of us had made it to the bottom (having been filmed for most of the decent by Jackie and his video camera!) we turned to look back up and saw three of four guys on dirt bikes sitting at the top. And this oh so scary slope (well for me) that I had just take five minutes to clamber down, well they rode straight down! Eeek.
The rest of the walk was fine though- if a little muddy. The French thought the word squelch was hilarious as I described the condition of the track as squelchy. I had great fun being a ballerina (as Remi described me) hopping from dry spot to dry spot on my tiptoes.
On returning to the house we settled down with a cup of tea and some cake before the guys started the BBQ for dinner. I say BBQ but really it was a metal grill supported on two bricks over some coals. But it cooked the food so it was all good. Those of us inside spent our time playing with Jackie’s oh so gorgeous son Guillaume. He is… umm about 2ish and just completely adorable. We spent ages going through his DVD collection and pointing out the names of the various characters while he sat on the laps of each person in turn.
After dinner a group of us played Uno (the card game) which I already knew how to play so could easily join in :)

Sunday afternoon we had our hardest working choir practice to date. As I have mentioned we have been doing ‘Great is he’ and for some reason the guys have been struggling a bit with their part. They keep speeding up and coming in too early. I was incredibly grateful to Philippe who not only picked out exactly where they were going wrong but also worked really hard to try to help them to get it right. So the two of us had them singing their parts over and over and over again while we counted for all we were worth trying to cue them in at the right point. But the end they had got it, but going back to it they slipped again. So we have got to find a way of making sure they get it right first time for a performance. Unfortunately Philippe won’t be around next time we sing so I can’t get him to help- smellies. Oh well I’m sure it will all work out in time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home