Monday, May 22, 2006

Eurovision

OK I admit it I'm a Eurovision fan!! I happen to think it's a lot of fun and makes for an entertaining evening (especially if you have nothing better to do). However this year I had to watch it without Terry Wogan :( instead I had a couple of French guys who were entertaining- but not even in the same league as our Terry!

I did for once get to vote for the UK though. And for those of you who might be thinking "You actually voted for that" well yes. I felt that just on the principle of the matter I should vote for the UK. Also my credit is nearing the end of it's time limit so I might as well use it on something before it expires!!!

In other news since I last wrote:
Well Wednesday I went to see the Da Vinci Code (I know that's not since I last wrote but I hadn't yet told you all that fact). My review- it's OK. I thought it was too long, as in I was wishing for it to hurry up and finish. Some of the things that work so well on paper just didn't quite translate onto film. However it is not awful and if you were planning to go and see it do, don't let the reviews put you off- it's not that bad.

On Friday in youth group we had a big long chat about the Da Vinci Code

It turned out that I was the only one who had read the book and seen the film (or the only one who admitted to it). We had a big chat about how the priory of sion, although sited as real by Dan Brown is actually fictional. We looked at a number of secular (non-Christian) articles examining why the book was pure fiction and how it just couldn't happen.

************
If you don't want any spoilers skip down to the next set of stars.

It was really nice to have an authoritive figure confirm what I had been thinking as well.
The main story point is that Jesus married Mary Magdalene and they had a daughter and that the descendants of Jesus are alive today. This is supposed to be a big secret that the catholic church is hushing up because it would ruin the church if the secret was discovered.
However I was totally confused as to why this was such a secret. I wondered if I had missed the point somewhere because all I could think was "So what?"
It is fairly clear from the bible that Jesus wasn't married. However why would it matter if he was? Jesus was fully human and fully God, and as a human there is nothing more natural that being married. It also wouldn't change anything of the cross or the resurrection or anything.
I was so glad to hear someone else say that because I was wondering if I was a bad Christian because I thought this- I mean all the rest of the church seems to be up in arms about the book. The only reason I think there is to complain is this section of the catholic church who are portrayed as murdering assassins (not sure why I had to specify that the assassins were murdering but hey).
Jamel concluded the evening by saying "We know Jesus wasn't married, but he could have been and it wouldn't have changed anything"
**************

The rest of my weekend was rather uneventful. I found my bike had a puncture, did laundry, had a picnic at church, got caught in torrential rain on the way home from choir and worked through my entire 'workout with Wayne sleep' DVD- I was knackered afterwards!!

Then this morning I helped Ana take her stuff to the tram stop and then bid her farewell as she headed back to Spain. So now our group has shrunk down to 5. Only a few weeks more till I only head home- how strange is that!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home