Monday, March 27, 2006

Picture diary

My weekend.

Friday evening after youth group we had a soiree pate (I've given up trying to put accents into my blog because every time I do and then click preview it does something rather funky- so apologies for lack of accents on names, random French words and the like). It was really good, Colby cooked up some huge vats of spaghetti carbonara.

It was a really nice evening. And made specially nice by the fact that Elaine came too. Dinner was of course accompanied by the usual chat, but had the added feature of some geography and Korean lessons for some of the guys. There are now about 6 Koreans who are regularly coming to church and or Youth group. I love the multi-national stuff :)




Saturday I'm afraid to say I was immensely lazy during the day. I barely made it out of bed all day. Instead I finished my book- memories of a geisha. It was really good :) So thank you Sheila for that one. However by the evening I was up out and doing. Jane has been wanting to go dancing for absolutely ages so we decided to go find a club. Unfortunately Caen doesn't have a huge club scene. There are like two or three places. First we went to the lizard but it didn't seem to be open so we wander to O'donnalds for a couple of hours and played darts. Darts is a funny game (especially if you ware watching me!). I am one of those player who regularly manages to miss the board but when I do hit it I am more than capable of getting a good score to make it up. I was the first one to hit triple 20, triple 19 and the red ring of the bull's eye. I was also the only one to end up with my dart sticking straight up out of the floor!!! Then we went back to the lizard- not much going on there, so we tried the other club- hardly anyone there (so dancefloor empty) and rather rubbish music. So we ended up just chatting in a corner, but it was really good even so. We are going to have to try another night though because Jane was really disappointed to not actually get to dance. It was a bit of a late night though and I drank enough coke that I needed to wind down when I got back, so what with the loosing an hour I ended up going to sleep at about 4!!!

Sunday- up at 8 (man I was bleary eyed- haven't done that in ages), to get to church. It's not normally that early but the choir were singing so I had to be there at 9:45. All through the service I was so nervous, because I was doing a solo later on. Now I have done solos in front of hundreds of people and been hardly nervous at all, and here I was with my hard shaking and butterflies in my stomach in church in front of little over 100. However here is the catch- I was accompanying myself on the piano! I have got used to playing with the choir and singing at the same time so I knew I could do it, but there was no one else to sing over any mistakes I made and no one else to keep singing if I had to stop to concentrate on a certain bit. However it went OK. I was shaking so much after though that I was worried I would spill the little cup of communion wine I was holding! People said it was good though so I can't have done too badly.

Sunday afternoon there were only 4 of us at choir- me, Armelle, Nina and Philippe. So Philippe went through the music books and taught us a load of new songs. It was basically just a big jamming session. It was absolutely fantastic. Some of the songs he picked were in horrible keys though with E flats and b flats and the like. When I first looked at on of the songs I just laughed! So we transposed it by a semitone to put it in a very nice key. It's bizarre transposing by sight though, in the end I just worked out what the tricky chords were and we went back to playing in the written key. We were there for hours! It was one of the best afternoons I've had in ages.

The Sunday evening we went round to Jamel's house (the pastor).
It was ace. We got fed yummy food- just look at Jerome's face!

And played with Sammy's toys! Sammy is like 1 and everyone was having great fun with this magnetic drawing board (stick a magnet on it and it makes a mark).
Olivier and I drew pretty pictures


While some of the others played Hangman on it

Hee Hee.
It was also a bit of a good bye party because Colby is off back to the states on Wednesday

And Laurent and Karen are off to Argentina

They will be missed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home