Friday, January 27, 2006

Night crawler

Tis a little strange but blogger.com has kind of gone down. I can still post new messages (obviously) and you can still read my blog, but I can't edit old posts- I can't even see that I have old posts if I go to that part of the site. I wouldn't mind but I set the font size wrong on Wednesday so it looks all odd!!
I am currently taking a break from checking a report that a colleague has written. It is really hard, because he has really good English. This might sound a rather strange thing to say but here is why. There are a couple of sentences which when I first read them don't make sense, but on second time through or something I understand what was meant. So then I go to find what was wrong with the sentence and suggest a change. However I find no mistakes!!! What he has said is technically perfect English, it's just not what I would say. Now I don't know if it is just because I wouldn't say it, or if it one of times when no one would say it. I have spent ages looking at one sentence and can't decided if it is worth me suggesting an alternative or not. There is always a good chance that I just don't know English well enough to properly understand what he is saying- lol. Happens way too often.

Yesterday was fun. I became a night crawler walker. [NB for any one who is not aware: night crawler is a character from X men. I have seen the trailer for X3 and it looks AMAZING. I can't wait, but it doesn't come out in England till may. So no idea when I'm going to get to see it. So I have Xmen on the brain at the mo] After dinner Elaine and I decided we needed to walk of our dinner so wrapped up against the cold and headed for the castle. The castle is never shut so you can walk the ramparts in the dead of night if you so wish. It wasn't quite the dead of night for us, but it was dark enough that you had to watch yourself walking alone the warn, uneven floors. It was a nice walk and we had a little history lesson while we at it. The castle in Caen was built by (or rather for) William the Conqueror in the 11th century (William the conquer= battle of Hastings= 1066). And much of the old city- what ever was left after the WWII bombings is from the 15th 16th and 17th century. Before all the assistants came I used to spend my Saturdays being a tourist and learning about the city and it's history so I was able to tell Elaine some stuff she didn't know and show her where I had got most of my information- the little info boards that the council have put up all over the place. On from the castle we wandered and found my secret garden church. When I first found it I really did feel like Mary Lennox finding a hidden treasure. It is the shell of an old church with ivy growing all over it and an old mosaic floor leading up the center. It is beautiful. Not so pretty in the dark- much more imposing but still just as striking.
Fantastically fun evening- and more healthy than my normal evening occupation of blobbing!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home