Monday, June 20, 2005


I have discovered that new routines wear you out like nothing else can. Each night I have been in bed by 10 and slept solidly until about 7, both this weekend and last I have managed to spend either saturday or sunday doing nothing (i.e. sleeping until stupidly late, then watching dvds and then going to bed at about 10ish) and I'm still shattered. I guess adjusting to new situations takes extra energy- especially
when you have to speak a new language as well.


Sunday though I did manage to get out and go to church. It was quite a strange experience really. Most of the hymns they sang had the same tune as an english hymn, but different words. This was quite helful really as I didn't have to worry about the tune, just the words. unfortunately it gave me a sharp reminder of home and I nearly burst into floods of tears when they started singing.

Preachers are actually reletively easy to follow inn another language (comparitively speaking of course). The main reason being: 1) in public speaking you have to speak clearly and slowely 2) if you know the rough topic they are preaching on you have a good chance of guessing roughly what they might be talking about.

I also met a lovely lady after the service who could speak some english so we had a little miss match conversation of french and english. As I was leaving she asked if I was coming back and when I said yes she smiled and said that we should speak some more french then. So I have a friend (though I have no idea what her name was! hee hee)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home