Monday, June 13, 2005



Ever thought about how hard it is to buy a train ticket? No I hadn't either, until today! For those of you who have used the Croydon trams the system here is very similar to that- and when you don't have a clue what the options are, it is very hard to pick. I tried asking a lady nearby, and her very helpful responce was that she couldn't work those machines! so I managed to miss the bus by seconds. The fabulous thing about the Caen transport system is that you can buy one ticket and you can use it on a bus or a tram, from any point in the city, to anywhere else in the city. A wonderfully simple system (once you have managed to buy your ticket of course). So I managed to catch a tram to work instead. Of course me being me, I left enough time to get to work that if I missed the bus I still had time to walk there. Consequently I arrived at work an amazing 45 minutes early. So I sat at the
tram stop outside work and read "There is always enough" by Rolland and Heidi baker for half an hour. When I arrived the lady at the front desk was expecting me. I got a badge and as asked to wait in the reception, to be met by the company "head of human resorces" or something like that. The introductory talk was all in english and when I was handed over again they all spoke english to me (so I understood it all).

I was given a tour around the office and told about a million name- none of which I now remeber of course, introduced to Peter (who is the current University of surrey placement student) then sat down with a ton of reading to do- to try and familiarise myself with the project. The fact that all this documentation was in english actually helped very little. Most of it was written with the assumption that the person reading it was familiar with other parts of the project and just the subject area in general- not me!

12 saw us wandering off to canteen, where the only piece of conversation I vaguely understood was when one of the girls said she had seen a frog!

Then more reading!

At the end of the day I was so tired that I couldn't face walking back as I had planned, so I went to get the tram. The service doesn't half change from morning to evening! From every 9 minutes it went to me waiting over 45 minutes, reading my book again. But eventually I made it back to the foyer and went straight into dinner. I have no idea what was in the mush of vegetables that I ate, but I ate and ate until it was all gone- and it was lovely. Then I managed my biggest acheivement in my french so far. I went (with out looking in dictionary or phrase book before I went) to the foyer reception and manaed to arrange a meeting with the boss lady to
finish off the paper work.

now me needs lots of sleep

zzzzzzzzzzzz

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home